West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sawfiler Trainee Level 1
at West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd.
West Fraser is a diversified North American wood products company producing southern yellow pine lumber and wood chips across the Southern US and Western Canada. We are the largest lumber producer in North America!
Our employees operate in a culture that values safety first and rewards hard work. We recognize and support our team culture and focus on growing our team by promoting from within – many of our employees have built their careers with us.
Our Sawfiler-Grinder Trainee position is an entry level role with the expectation that self-motivated individuals will advance into progressively skilled positions.
Entry level responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Learns to change gang saws properly and safely
• Becomes familiar with all aspects of changing band saws
• Learns to change face knives and wing knives in both canters
• Learns to set up knife grinder for knives being ground.
• Learns to place knives on grinder and grinds to specs
• Learns to rebabbits knives to spec
• Keeps knife grinding equipment clean
• Lubricates knife equipment
• Repair knife equipment when needed
• Learns to rebuild the guides for the gang saws and the edger to specs
• Learns to maintain the guides
• Understand and comply with all plant job safety requirements, including Lockout/tag out procedures
Required skills and experience include:
• High School Diploma or GED
• Minimum of six (6) months in a manufacturing or industrial environment preferred
• Ability to work outdoors in all temperatures in loud, high volume environments performing physical tasks throughout the shift
• Ability to perform the essential functions of the position which includes walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs, bending and lifting up to 50 pounds
• Ability to perform all tasks in accordance with West Fraser safety policies and procedures
• Recognize and support our team culture, communicating effectively with all team members
• Ability to work rotating shifts, holidays and weekends
• Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check, drug screen test and physical
Our highly competitive compensation package includes:
• Competitive starting pay along with on-the-job training and a culture that strongly believes in promoting from within
• Outstanding benefits package including medical, dental, 401k, life insurance, disability, paid vacations and holidays
If you are ready to build your career in a company that thrives on growth, a safe work environment, rewarding work, challenge and opportunity, come build your career with us at West Fraser: www.westfraser.com
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please apply through our online application process as resumes will not be accepted at the site. No phone inquiries, please.
West Fraser is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D & Drug Free Workplace (DFW)