Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Experian is recruiting for a Principal Developer to work within the UK&I Solutions Software Development department. This is an exciting time in our technology journey as we look to adopt new technologies whilst also developing our core platforms.
The Principal Developer role is the key technical lead for the Software Development department, setting and maintaining the high-quality required throughout the development life cycle. You will be an expert in at least one of the key technical domains (Mainframe, .Net and/or Java) - using this expertise you will be setting and enforcing the coding standards, driving improvement in your technology forums and leading your associated Lead Developers.
Day to day, your responsibilities will be to have technical oversight and escalation for project developments - e.g. approving designs, supporting the lead developers, and approving implementations. We'd also like you to take responsibility for the integrity of the software, ensuring technical debt is managed effectively (avoid creating it & remove it whenever there's opportunity).
We want to know our people are in good hands, so you will need to have proven experience in a leadership role within a technical environment – you'll also need to support and develop our junior staff, as well as define and contribute to the achievement of our departmental objectives.
As a Principal Developer, you will be responsible for, and get involved in the following;
Software Development Leadership
· Role model and trusted technical advisor of development methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, Scrum, etc), across multiple technology platforms (Mainframe, Windows, Linux etc.) and business areas.
· Proven ability to deliver the most complex technical artefacts when required
· Provide guidance to members of the project regarding best practices in software development and systems design.
· Partner with Architecture to assure standards align with architecture principles
· Take part in the Technical Design Authority as part of the team reviewing the technical deliverables from other teams
Business and Technical Knowledge
· In-depth knowledge of multiple product/system/services produced/maintained by own division and an understanding of products/services of other related divisions
· Leads the learning agenda to enhance the knowledge base of the development community
· Undertake Knowledge Sharing sessions within own team, to the rest of the department and when appropriate to other divisions in Experian
· Proactive coaching/mentoring of lead developers and project staff in the development of their systems.
· Communication skills and the ability to explain/justify solutions and issues to technical and non-technical audiences
Qualifications and Experience
· Ideally, you will be degree qualified or have an equivalent level of relevant experience
· Experience of the full development lifecycle
· Experience in leading small teams of software developers
· Experience of supporting a complex technical environment
· Strong Software design, development and analysis skills
· Test-Driven Development principals and Unit Test Cases
· Experience of working in a DevOps environment & tooling would be desirable
· Experience of working in a mature Agile environment would be desirable
· Demonstrable expert experience in one or more of our core technologies is required:
o CICS / COBOL and associated test/development tools
o SQL, VSAM, Datastage or Pentaho