Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Secondary Science Teacher, 2019-2020 School Year
at Connections Academy
Secondary Science Teacher, 2019-2020 School Year
At Connections Academy, helping students maximize their potential and meet the highest performance standards through a uniquely individualized learning program is at the core of our mission. Connections Academy was founded in 2001 to deliver high-quality, highly accountable online education to students in grades K-12. Hallmarks of Connections Academy-supported online schools include personalized learning, an award-winning curriculum and Education Management System (EMS), dedicated state-certified teachers, and a supportive school community. Parents of enrolled students consistently share their satisfaction with Connections Academy: 92% “would recommend the schools to other families” and 95% say the curriculum is “high quality.” In 2017, Connections Academy-supported public schools serve students in 27 states, while the private online school, International Connections Academy meets the online school needs of students worldwide. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Academy is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Academy is part of the global learning company, Pearson, and its Online & Blended Learning group. For more information, visit www.ConnectionsAcademy.com.
Arkansas Connections Academy (ARCA) is a tuition-free, virtual public school serving students in grades K-9 statewide during the 2016-17 school year. The school will add one high school grade per year, ultimately serving students in grades K–12. ARCA is authorized by the Arkansas Charter Authorizing Panel and the State Board of Education, and is governed by an independent Board of Directors. The school is contracted with Connections Education to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Working from the office in Bentonville, Arkansas, certified Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Secondary Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program’s K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students’ programs to increase student understanding;
- Work with other teachers to coordinate social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Manage regional field trips and make efforts to integrate trips into the curriculum;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”;
- Participate in the organization and administration of the State Testing, as directed;
- Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselor to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met;
- Attend field trips and other community activities implemented for families;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Science in Arkansas (appropriate to grade level and content area responsibilities)
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
- Ability to work remotely, if necessary
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families